The Public Information Office serves as a liaison between the Virgin Islands Police Department, the community, and the news media, to provide timely, accurate and useful information about significant events within the organization. The Public Information Office also advises the Police Commissioner and command staff on public opinion and news media response regarding departmental issues.
The focus of the Public Information Office is to provide timely dissemination of information to the public to include weekdays and weekends. Additionally, the office provides information to the community through various means including participating in radio talk shows and public access television programs to promote excellence in police services; mobilize public involvement; and increase awareness of public safety initiatives that build upon the department’s crime reduction strategies.
News releases are prepared and transmitted through a computerized fax system. The office is aware of the need to preserve resources and minimizes the use of paper. Recently the office has begun recording and sending audio files with press releases issued. This innovation has received excellent reviews from the media.
In addition to being distributed locally, press releases issued by the Virgin Islands Police Department Public Information Office are received by other Caribbean news agencies including the BBC, the Associated Press and are available to all news media nationwide.
Under the direction of the Commissioner of Police and in cooperation with the Assistant Commissioner, Chief and various department heads the Public Information Office:
- Issues press releases on crimes and arrests
- Issues press releases on police initiatives and achievements
- Organizes press conferences
- Liaisons with all media
- Prepares speeches and remarks when requested
- Assists in organizing all police related public events
- Assists in creating media campaigns to promote public safety
- Submits information for the Crime Stoppers “Crime of the Week”
- Liaisons with the Community Integration Team and attends all meetings
- Submits information to and monitors the web site
- Produces an in-house newsletter
- Works closely with the governor's communication team and participates in the governor's weekly public information personnel teleconference meetings